Thursday, November 1, 2007

Happy All Saints Day!

A new month! Wow! Where did October go? We had a very quiet Halloween. Fortunately the forecast for rain did not come true and the trick or treaters stayed dry. Happy All Saints Day! My late mother-in-law’s birthday was on this day. A wonderful woman. I miss her.

I have been staring at this yarn I bought from Webs Valley Yarns called Berkshire Bulky. It is alpaca/wool blend and oh so soft! To inspire me I started flipping through some of my Elizabeth Zimmerman’s books. As I turned the pages of The Knitting Workshop, I stopped at the page with The Rib Warmer. It looked quite easy to knit up.

It calls for a yarn weight of 5 st/in and the Berkshire Bulky is 3st/in. The rib warmer pattern says it fits the average women. Knowing that I am a little larger than the average woman, I though I’d try knitting the pattern as is with the Berkshire. My thought was that it might turn out larger with a larger gauge. I had to adjust the length of the armhole, but it seems to be coming out well. I’ve finished one side and I am half way done with the other side. With the bulky yarn it is going fast.

Here is one side opened up.
This is part of the other side. It will be sewn together and then edged. I think a crocheted edge would be nice. It will use up 6 skeins of yarn when finished.

I have 6 skeins left and I just love this bulky yarn. I found a aran cable pattern for a laptop cover on the web. It calls for a worsted weight but I thought this bulky yarn would be much more cushiony and shock resistant. Since my family is one of computer people, I’m sure I can give it to someone for Christmas. I have been knitting a swatch on Size 8 but I think I need to increase to Size 9 needles. Here is the swatch on 8s.


Last, but not least, I finished knitting the Wishbone sweater. Yea! I just have to sew up armholes and sew in yarn ends and the facing of the neck. I’ve been putting it off because I’m not sure I like how the neck facing turned out. It seems too bulky and I’m not sure the facing is going to lay flat. I knitted the facing with one strand of yarn on smaller needles, rather than the doubled as the rest is knitted. I’m not one who likes doing the finishing.

As you can see, this has been a “knitting week”. I’ve been under an unusual amount of stress at work. Whenever, this happens, “I knit”, to give me some measure of calmness and escape from my overwhelming job responsibilities. I haven’t felt much like blogging, but on the plus, I now have something to show for it. I can say I’m satisfied with that.

No comments: