Sunday, September 9, 2007

New Yarns: Laceweight

Since it is looking like I will be finishing the sweatpants soon, I am itching to start something with the lace weight yarn I purchased from Knitpicks. I bought two skeins of Shimmer in the Maple Leaf colorway, a lace weight Alpaca/Silk blend. I wanted to find a yarn that would be appropriate for fall. Initially, I wanted one that had green, but then I saw this gorgeous, orange,red and yellow and brown colorway that reminded me of leaves when they change color in the fall. I then found this beautidul shawl pattern: The Rose Trellis Shawl.


I had not knitted with laceweight yarn before. I attempted to cast on with Size 2 Options circular needles, which are sharper and better for laceweight. I knit the first row, but I kept on missing stitches. After frogging several times and starting over, I finally gave up and doubled the yarn to a more manageable fingering weight. Yes, the colors were not as clearly defined. It looks more like a rust with spots of yellow. I will also need to order more Shimmer to finish it.




I have coming a sport weight scarlet 2-ply cotton I won from Ebay. I want to try some baby leggings for my 1-year old grandaughter. They should be perfect for Christmas time in California. I perceive they will go alot faster than the adult sweatpants.

No comments: