Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Fabulous Fiber Fair-Santa Monica


Saturday I went the the Fabulous Fiber Fair in Santa Monica. There are so few fiber event on the west coast. We didn't attend Lambtown, USA this year, so I made sure I went to this Fiber fair.

The Fabulous Fiber Fair held at the Civic Center, has workshops and vendors designed for knitters, spinners, dyers, felters, weavers, beaders, bobbin lace, and quilters. There are demos going on all day in these crafts. This year, the number of animals displayed increased. There were alpacas, angora bunnys, a dog(unknown breed) and chinchillas. The market was filled with vendors to suit all the types of crafters. I took home some Superwash wool roving from Custom Handweaving, and a deliciously soft skein of fingering weight Alpaca Silk in the Olive tones colorway. I can't wait to knit a lace shawl with this. The colorways and yarn of this vendor, Lisa Souza Dyeworks, was simply wonderful and it was hard not to buy more. Although it seemed pricey, $44 for 750 yds of fingering wt, and the luscious softness, it will be worth every penny. I'l have to knit something very special with it.

On Sunday, I got so frustrated with reknitting again and again the border of my pi shawl, I decided to take a break. Low and behold, I finished the Baby Surprise Jacket. I just need to sew up the shoulders, and I think its just the right size of my 1-year old granddaughter. How perfect is that timing?



A strange thing happened when I tried to take a picture of the surprise sweater. It is made with a rich colored varigated Caron Acrylic Simply Soft yarn named Embroidery Print. In artificial light it looks red but in natural light it turns blue. How amazing is that?






No comments: