Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The 4th of July



The 4th of July is a special day at our house. Not only is it the birthday of America, it’s my husband’s birthday too. How fortunate was he to be born on a day every American celebrates.

I enjoyed seeing my granddaughter again. She has been away from El Salvador for a month with her other grandmother. She will be 2 years old in a few weeks. It is so amazing to see how she is learning to speak both English and Spanish. She is more understandable now. It is lovely to hear her call me “Gamma”. I am seeing wonderful things in my eldest son’s parenting skills. It so lovely to see him and his daughter interact. It warms my heart to see the bond they have developed. He truly loves and cares for her. Even “Abuelita”, the other grandma, calls for his intervention when C. does not cooperate.. The word “No” is clearly in her vocabulary. When dad intervenes she pays attention and easily defers to him and his opinion. When her daddy says no, she knows he means it and is deeply affected to have disappointed him. How can one resist but to love her and comfort her which her dad doesn’t hesitate to do to reassure her of his love regardless of her disobedience or refusals to do something. This is so gratifying to witness this in my son. It makes all of my trials, worth every blood, sweat, tear and heartbreak ever experienced raising him. It leaves me with a sense of peace that he will be OK, being a father and raising his children.

Actually, I am at a point in my life that all my children have achieved some sort of independence and maturity to carry on when I am gone. I still pray for their wisdom and good judgment. However, I am feeling my life being fulfilled in them.

June 6, 2008
Reflecting on the weekend.

I finished sewing up the Monkey Socks and the quick Charity hat this weekend. Yea! I finished something.

I wanted to learn a new skill this weekend. I researched some direction for toe-up socks using July Becker’s cast on. There were many false starts. I must have restarted about 4 or 5 times. On size one needles it was quite a challenge to increase. I possibly should have used a thinker yarn and bigger needle but I’ve been wanting to use the Knit Picks Felicini yarn I ordered and this was as good an excuse as any. The self striping yarns seems to be easy to knit in stockinette.

Summer makes me think of taking inventory of my fiber. I thought I’d start with my UFO’s. I created a database and after much trial and error, I figured out how to add pictures of the projects. I am getting the itch to attempt to finish some of them. Perhaps I can work on some of these this summer. I probably should rip out the ones that will no longer fit. I am clearly a process knitter. I enjoy learn how to do something. Once I learn it, finishing it is not very important. This is the issue with socks and bigger projects like sweater. I hope someday to settle down and knit straight through a sweater that fits well. I have yet to find the perfect pattern.

No comments: