Friday, January 4, 2008

In Search of UFOs

As I started my quest in search of UFO’s (unfinished objects), low and behold (I just love to say that), I found some sneaky UFO aliens hiding among my nicks and crannies of “hidden” fiber, yarn, and things. These projects escaped my original UFO list and I’m sure I’m bound to find more of these sneaky aliens around the house. They are very “crafty” beings. They like to hide in drawers and boxes that are unused all year behind the “Oh my gosh” Acrylic yarn that is avoided. Avoided, unless you run out of your luxury yarns.

It’s fortunate that these projects don’t have legs, like the luxury yarns seem to have.
Luxury yarns never seem to be in the right place when I want it for that perfect project. You swear you bought it and put it in “that” place but now we have a “runaway yarn” to list on the back of a milk carton. Headline: “Alpaca Yarn Missing! Merino Wool Aliens Suspected of Kidnapping and Using Disintegration Torture Techniques!” It is suspected that the moths, who love these luxury yarns are in cahoots with others that nibble this yarn to dust so that it is hidden forever.

To my delight I found a beautiful shawl UFO made in the Thrift Shop Pattern in some lovely multicolored 3-ply cotton, rayon and silk yarn I purchased from Interlacements many years ago. I think the yarn was called Santa Barbara and I don’t think they make it anymore. The shawl has knitted up like a Monet painting or landscape of blues and reds with a sprinkling of violets and browns. I tried to capture its loveliness with my camera but I’m not sure it really shows the true colors.


I spent all morning knitting the last skein I had. Once finished, I contemplated who I should give it to. Remember, I’m trying to clean out my projects and make my life simpler. I was planning on visiting one of my best friends from high school days that day, and since I remembered she was allergic to wool, I thought this would be a perfect gift. I missed her birthday, which was on Christmas Eve, so this was a good chance to give it to her and catch up on all the news we exchange about what’s going on in our lives. I know she will treat it with all the love and care that I would give it. It’s amazing how God puts into your mind the perfect person and plan when you need it.

Here are some pictures of the shawl……. I named it “The Monet Shawl”.




Another thought I’ve been ruminating in my mind and heart is that I need to make a focus to think on certain scriptures to guide my life for the year. There are so many lovely scriptures and I’m making a resolution to pick out one at least weekly to meditate on for the week.

Here is the first one: Phillippians 4:8-11

“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—If anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”

No comments: